Info-bytes and Info-shots
What are Info-bytes?
The Archive-Skills Consultancy Ltd first developed Info-bytes as a teaching aid. They were a way of including important subjects in a training programme when there was not time to devote a longer presentation. An Info-byte is a succinct page of information about an aspect of archives or records management It may include some or all of the following:
- a definition or description of the subject of the Info-byte;
- bullet points covering the main aspects of the subject;
- bullet points highlighting crucial points to remember; and/or
- bullet points with details of where to get more information.
We usually allow ten minutes for an Info-byte, which usually consists of a run through of the overhead and a few questions if further clarification is needed. We also include the Info-byte in the course handbooks.
Info-bytes can be used in other ways than as overheads for teaching purposes:
- integrate them into presentations to management and colleagues;
- use them as a check-list to expand on for training, report writing etc.; or
- refer to them for more information on the subject.
We have made our Info-bytes available online as PDF files.
- Info-byte: Appraisal of Digital Records [14 Kb]
- Info-byte: Automation Implementation Issues [14 Kb]
- Info-byte: Costing, Budgeting and Resource Requirements for IT Projects to Computerise Records Management or Manage Computer Records [15 Kb]
- Info-byte: Customer Care [17 Kb]
- Info-byte: Digitisation [15 Kb]
- Info-byte: Digital Records [15 Kb]
- Info-byte: EDMS, ERMS and EDRMS [16 Kb]
- Info-byte: Evaluating Preservation Progress [16 Kb]
- Info-byte: Guidelines for Managing and Preserving Digital Records [20 Kb]
- Info-byte: Information Management in Brief [17 Kb]
- Info-byte: Integrity of Records [13 Kb]
- Info-byte: Integrating Electronic and Paper Systems [10 Kb]
- Info-byte: What is Knowledge Management? [15 Kb]
- Info-byte: Legal and Regulatory Considerations [14 Kb]
- Info-byte: Metadata [58 Kb]
- Info-byte: Providing Access to Digital Records [15 Kb]
- Info-byte: Retrospective Conversion [19 Kb]
- Info-byte: Standards [15 Kb]
- Info-byte: Surrogates [15 Kb]
- Info-byte: Tracking Systems: the Main Considerations [14 Kb]
- Info-byte: What are Archives and Why Do They Require Special Management? [18 Kb]
- Info-byte: Vital Records [15 Kb]
Info-shots are slightly longer than our Info-bytes because they contain more information than can be distilled into an A4 sheet.
Only two Info-shots are available online at present as PDF files.